View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
You two had better be careful or this thread will be moved to mirth!
Well, I can only say that I am attempting to explore the nature of Elves in this thread & if others are dragging it down to the level of a 'Mirth' topic I, surely, cannot be held responsible.

While we are speculating, I wonder if the Beacons of Gondor were Elf-Powered. It would be easy enough for a cunning Lord like Denethor to lure some passing Elves to the Beacon Hills on pretence of needing their aid. All that would be needed would be to then invite them to the top to admire the view & at the opportune moment have one of his men sneak up behind them & shout BOO! Instant beacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
Perhaps Bilbo had to give up, owing to the flammable nature of his Elven friends.
And how many innocent Elves lost their lives before he learned that lesson, I wonder?

EDIT.

Don't know if anyone could answer this, but how long would an Elf burn for? In the episode I referred to from HoM-e 7 gandalf says of Legolas 'He would burn bright while he lasted!'. This would call into question the usefulness of using Elves as a fuel source. The implication of Gandalf's words is that while Elves may be easy to ignite, they burn out quickly. I think we must imagine them as similar to matches. Which would imply they burn from the head down....

Last edited by davem; 05-31-2006 at 04:06 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote