View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #40
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Another questioned popped into my head, listening to the Flight to the Fords chapter. Frodo, at the end, is almost over into the wraith world. I think that the text states that the ringwraiths no longer needed their horses to see Frodo as they could see him. So two things came to mind. What if Elrond wasn't able to remove the splinter of the Morgul-knife that had lodged in Frodo's shoulder and Frodo subsequently succumbed to the wound?

I guess that Elrond and Gandalf could take the Ring from the disembodied spirit. Could they 'trap' the wraith Frodo to keep him from going to Mordor? How would they hold him?

And would this tragedy aid the enemy, beyond the killing of the Ringbearer? Could the wraiths use Frodo as a spy? And would he retain some 'claim' to the Ring?
I imagine that he would have been drawn to Mordor - - - without the Ring. The Fellowship would have been Eight? Merry seems the most likely after Frodo somehow. A certain gravitas in that Hobbit that always impressed me, compared to Pippin and Sam. Not that Sam wasn't serious; but there was something just a wee bit more - um - elvish (?) about Merry compared to P & S..... really flying off the top of my head here....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote