Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq20
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Excellent post, Sir Kohran, and not because it's the only one... Made me think there a time or two, and it's always a welcome thing to see some POV one hasn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran
The Elves weren't idle - you can see a few dead Uruk Hai fall from the wall as they turn to shoot at the causeway. They were just dealing with the immediate threat coming towards them, before they could afford to face another way to attack.
It just seems that they don't do much until Captain Aragorn orders them. I guess we're just seeing PJ's attempt to show Aragorn as a leader, even though everyone knows 'the job' and pretty much could do without his obvious observations. "You - shoot some arrows at the Uruks; I'll continue shooting my mouth off."

Quote:
It's refreshing to see that the Uruk Hai are making tactical ploys and screening theirreal plans, instead of just being the usual movie horde of dumb enemies that mindlessly throw themselves onto the good guys until they win.
True. Think that the mindless were on the 'other' side this time .

Quote:
It does seem rather odd from a casual pint of view, yes. But remember that this Uruk is a Berserker - the strongest, toughest soldiers in the battle (aside from The Three ), and I can imagine that he'd be able to take two arrows, especially considering that his only reason to live was to reach the bombs, so he'd be completely focused on this goal without thinking of himself. And besides, we don't see Legolas fighting any other Berserkers, so we don't know how effective his arrows would be on them normally anyway.
It's not the number of arrows, but the placement. Previously (and in the future) Legolas placed arrows exactly where he wanted them - right between the eyes as it were. Now he shoots twice in nonlethal areas on a unarmored Uruk, berserker or not. How about its head, leg, eye, throat? I realize that we have to blow the wall, but instead of Legolas casually missing (CONSPIRACY!) he could been 'bumped' by an Uruk, or even a dwarf, and that could be the reason for the arrows not being as effective. It at least would be consistent and not shame the pointy-eared one.

Quote:
I guess the larger Uruk losses are a subtle reminder of the crude nature of evil - it damages all sides eventually.
I see it more that Saruman didn't care about the means, or anything else but himself for that matter. The Uruks were under the wizard's control and did not have minds of their own. They served Saruman, and what he said they did.

Quote:
Actually, I can explain the lack of Elvish action - when the wall explodes, you see a quick shot of the Elves behind it getting knocked to the ground by the resulting quake and debris. They take a few mintues to get reorganized, whilst Aragorn and Gimli get caught up with the Uruks. By the time Gimli's being attacked, they are able to send a proper volley into the mob.
They still seem to wait for Aragorn to point out the obvious.

Quote:
However - it does serve one role, in that it's the last time that the Elves will charge into battle, swords drawn. This the final hour of Elvish pride - a final blaze of glory for these fading people, as they try to recapture their golden age of fighting and heroism, but are merely cut down by the stronger, more modern Uruk Hai instead. It's a good way of depicting the Elves' situation in the Third Age with on-screen action.
Interesting insight. The elves are either going to adapt to this new age or die trying.

Quote:
Whilst this is annoying, it does avoid the movie cliche of having 'tension' and then having the predictable ending of the Ents doing the good thing. This way, we are both surprised and disappointed that the Ents aren't doing what we thought they would. So when the Ents do get round to doing the right thing, we are more happy as it's turning out right after all.
Another 'gotcha' by PJ? We won't be going to war...we're going to war. Just wait to see the next thread, as I'm not really kind with the portrayal of the Ents, and we can discuss that there.

Quote:
Very touching moment here - Merry puts down Pippin's vain little hopes with a flat, depressing reminder of how all the world will fall if action isn't taken. Their home will not remain safe for long if they flee. They can stick their heads in the sand, but then be stabbed in the back.
It may have worked for those thinking that 'what's the big deal?' Maybe some viewers forgot that Saruman and Sauron aren't just going after Helm's Deep, but Middle Earth and everything in it. And can't help but point out that, if one's head is in the sand that the back isn't the first target that comes to mind.