View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #40
Mansun

Sting Gandalf vs Witch King

When all is said & done, it does appear overall that Sauron seems to be the most powerful enemy in ME. Not even Gandalf had the power to face the coming of Sauron at the end, as mentioned in the Council of Elrond (although even when enhanced I still do not believe he could ultimately match Sauron).

The WK unfortunately is just a "brave" cocky but powerful servant of Sauron, & through his added demonic force he thinks he can defeat an enhanced ''Balrog's Bane" - if that was the case, how many of you seriously think the WK would stand a good chance of defeating the Balrog? I think he could give the Balrog a strong battle, but ultimately the Balrog would be too strong. Therefore I think the same would happen if the WK battled it out with Gandalf the White - Gandalf's supernatural powers (in some respect comparable even to those of Sauron's) would prove too much for the WK, who would most likely withdraw with curses back to his master.

Of course, Gandalf may have been anxious to face the mighty WK - who wouldn't? But then again Gandalf was fearful of the Balrog also, knowing that he was going to be put to the true test of his powers. But I don't think the WK inspired quite that same level of fear - quite a bit of the anxiety Gandalf appeared to show was probably down to the potential ruin the WK as commander of his army could inflict on Gondor - Gandalf could not keep back the storm all by himeslf , hence the cocky nature of the WK (my army is greater than your's, so what makes you think then that you can defeat me in combat?). The WK is just making every ounce of the difficult odds count in his favour by trying to instill fear - not just of himself, but of Mordor's armies, & the fate that may fall on Gondor.

Last edited by Mansun; 07-13-2006 at 06:00 PM.