View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 08:48 AM   #25
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

"theod" means "people" in Rohirric, so the name "Theoden" actually means something like "People-King" or "Chieftain". That and the prefix "Eo-" is a very common thing in Rohirric names.

I also think that in the case of Elrond, his name provided a lot of insight into his character. In the most recent "version" of Quenya, "rond" or "rondo" means "cave." Elrond's name could mean something like "Starry Cave" or "Star Cave." I always imagined Elrond's eyes as caves of wisdom and the color of stars.

Galadriel's name doesn't quite mean "Light-lady." In fact, it is the Sindarin equivalent of Quenya Altariel, Telerin Alatariel, and Primitive Elvish Nalatarigelle. It means "Maiden Crowned with a Bright Garland." It quite obviously refers to her hair. In her youth in Aman, Galadriel was a bit of a tomboy. For races and competitions like that, she bound up her hair in a kind of crown about her head, which was where she got her "nickname." The prevalent theme of light where she is concerned also refers to her status as the last Great One in Middle-earth. She was the last, and greatest, of the Elves who had come from Aman, and it is said that in their faces, the light of the Two Trees was still present.

Glorfindel's name, which means "Golden Haired One" also could have a long history. In Quenya, his name is Laurefindil, which can also mean "Golden-Hair-Servant." Subscribing to the theory that Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Imladris were one and the same, Glorfindel could have indeed served one of "Golden-Hair," Idril. She is always described as having golden hair, and I can imagine that Glorfindel was a close friend of hers, or at least a sort of self-appointed guardian of her and her family.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote