Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq25
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
As for the final Smeagol/Gollum conversation in the film, did you notice how almost all of it was ONE shot? As Gollum keeps moving further to the left and whispering to himself, the camera follows him and never once changes angles. It's not a slap-you-in-the-face-with-how-awesome-it-is shot like the sweeping Aragorn-Uruks shot at Amon Hen in FOTR, but it's still spectacular. Andrew Lesnie, the Oscar-winning cinematographer (and Grizzly Painter in "The Long and Short of It"), rarely gets enough credit for his fantastic work on the films.
We should also credit the superb acting of Andy Serkis, who was basically acting two different characters at the same time. I could be wrong about this, but wasn't the earlier conversation also taken in one shot, just with two camera angles?

I agree with almost everything alatar has said, except that I didn't find the Black Gate that bad and he forgot to say how unnecessary the addition of Brega was. Though Gollum was great visually and Serkis did an awesome job, I didn't like that he was simplified, since the book version is not only deeper, but also scarier because more unpredictable.

Lastly I have to say that I liked FotR much better. It was an impressive and amazingly well-done introduction into Middle-earth. Plus, it had Black Riders and Balrogs, whereas the Two Towers has lemming hyaenas.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote