Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq25
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Trotter
Pile O'Bones

Trotter has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for replying Alatar!

Really, my whole beef with the script for TTT was that it was badly structured. It just didn't feel smooth to me, there was far too much cutting back and forth between the two story lines for my taste. Now I certainly realize that it could not have been structured like Tolkien's novel, given that film is a largely different medium, but changes could have been made. Personally, I would have preferred TTT to stick with Frodo, Sam, and Gollum for the most part. But I understand that Peter Jackson wanted Frodo and Aragorn to be 'joint main characters,' so to speak.
As for what scenes dragged on... Well... Helm's Deep for one! I know that is not a popular view, but there it is. I simply think that that battle was ridiculously overblown and badly staged, stealing precious screen time from 'true Tolkien' moments that could have been in the film instead. Sure, it had its highlights, but most of them were smashed under the weight of everything else! Other scenes that come to mind are the ones with Arwen and Aragorn... ugh! Granted, some romance was needed, but these scenes were too much for me! I believe that far too much time was given to their relationship in the trilogy as a whole. Others include the Fangorn scenes, the whole Osgiliath bit, etc.
Okay, I'll wrap this up. I think that too much infuses was placed upon Aragorn and Arwen, as stated above, on Helm's Deep, on the Ring's possessive power, and on Saruman's army. That's all I can think of now.

P.S. It may seem to some that I'm nitpicking TTT, and that may be true, but oh well...

Trotter