View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 AM   #122
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Their final form is not a Christian form.
It seems to me that you overrate form (which brings one to allegory) and underrate message and intent of the author; please correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:
Arguing that LotR is a 'Christian' story, or one with Christian elements is rather like arguing that the book you hold in your hands is a tree because it was made from wood pulp.
If, despite all arguments put forth, you deny even the existence of Christian elements, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Quote:
... but it cannot be ring-fenced as a Christian book, as it simply was not written with that purpose in mind.
I believe that Letter #142 which we both quoted points oppositely. It is exactly the purpose of the author that it is beyond doubt; the only thing left to discuss is the form in which he presented Christians idea.
Quote:
Note that Anor is The Sun. Someone wielding the flames of the Sun? The power of Light given by the Sun? Using it to chase away Darkness? That is an incredibly powerful Pagan image.
More important than the refference to Anor (the word derives from fire) is the refference to the secret fire, the imperishable flame of Eru. Moreoever, let's track the meaning of Anor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myths Transformed, HoME X
Therefore Iluvatar, at the entering in of the Valar into Ea, added a theme to the Great Song which was not in it at the first Singing, and he called one of the Ainur to him. Now this was that Spirit which afterwards became Varda (and taking female form became the spouse of Manwe). To Varda Iluvatar said: 'I will give unto thee a parting gift. Thou shalt take into Ea a light that is holy, coming new from Me, unsullied by the thought and lust of Melkor, and with thee it shall enter into Ea, and be in Ea, but not of Ea.' Wherefore Varda is the most holy and revered of all the Valar, and those that name the light of Varda name the love of Ea that Eru has, and they are afraid, less only to name the One.
Now the Sun was designed to be the heart of Arda, and the Valar purposed that it should give light to all that Realm, unceasingly and without wearying or diminution, and that from its light the world should receive health and life and growth. Therefore Varda set there the most ardent and beautiful of all those spirits that had entered with her into Ea, and she was named Ar(i), and Varda gave to her keeping a portion of the gift of Iluvatar so that the Sun should endure and be blessed and give blessing.
But Arie rejected Melkor and rebuked him, saying: 'Speak not of right, which thou hast long forgotten. Neither for thee nor by thee alone was Ea made; and thou shalt not be King of Arda. Beware therefore; for there is in the heart of As a light in which thou hast no part, and a fire which will not serve thee.
So, the power of Anor is in fact the power of the imperishable flame.

Interestingly enough, Clyde S. Kilby notes in his book "Tolkien as Christian Writer" that:
[font=Arial][font=Verdana][size=2]
Quote:
Professor Tolkien talked to me at some length about the use of the word "holy" in The Silmarillion. Very specifically he told me that the "Secret Fire sent to burn at the heart of the world" in the beginning was the Holy Spirit
[/size][/font][/font]
Quote:
Raynor, please elaborate. This is what the thread was about - in the first place.
We have gods who are incarnate, serving the good and keeping a guard on the Children; Beren descending into hell and bringing out the light of the silmaril back into the world would parallel, to me, Christ's days in the desert and the light he later brings, or the "fire" with which he baptises; Turin, though he did have his shortcomings (though some of them don't constitute sins, since they were done under the dragon's spell), is mentioned in one of the versions of the second prophecy of Mandos in HoME IV as the one who will defeat Melkor, again, a Christian, even Christ-like, element to me - which is even more evident, for example, in the Atrabeth, where Finrod states that Eru himself will come inside his Creation and will heal it of evil.
Quote:
I always understood the Imperishable Flame as the source of the indepentent life, contrary to the lives of animals, the source of the fëar of elves, men and dwarves, making their fëar imperishable in Arda. Gandalf refers to it when he calls himself a servant of the secret fire and I see it as a symbol for Eru in this place, whom he serves via serving the Valar.
I don't think it should be understood in a restrictive way; it is stated in the Silmarillion, Ainulindale, that "then the themes of Iluvatar shall be played aright, and take Being in the moment of their utterance, for all shall then understand fully his intent in their part, and each shall know the comprehension of each, and Iluvatar shall give to their thoughts the secret fire, being well pleased"; also: in Note 11, Atrabeth Finrod ah Andreth the secret flame is said to be "the Creative activity of Eru (in some sense distinct from or within Him), by which things could be given a 'real' and independent (though derivative and created) existence". These refferences mean to me that the imperishable flame brings into existence not just souls but "things" too.
Quote:
I think we can see the Balrog on the Bridge of Khazad Dum, Boromir blowing his horn & Odin in his 'sun-god' aspect here (wearing a golden helmet & shining corslet...
A good example of using applicability, though too lightly if you ask me.
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote