View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #206
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I so swore I wouldn't tell anyone the significance of these, and see if anyone other than Celuien could guess it. But I'm far to pleased with myself for thinking it up (and finding it conveniently 24 characters) not to share why I have a dual title.

It's from the Idylls of the King, by my all-time favorite poet, Alfred, Lord Tennyson. In the chapter telling the story of Lancelot and Elaine, Lancelot, trying to assuage his lover's curiousity and jealousy towards the young and pure Elaine, tells Guinevere she is the "pearl of beauty".

Elaine, of course, is the lily maid from the moment she appears, and is even described as such as she lays on her barge on her final journey to Camelot.

Guinevere, Gwinever, Gwenhofyr...however you spell it, Jennifer is the same name. And Elaine is my middle name. It always fascinated me that I bear the names of both of Lancelot's lovers, and I always felt a special connection with them, but never with Lancelot, the quintessential knight, and instrument of both their dooms. And, while I'm not crazy, I often feel as though I am divided between two worldviews: one cynical, jaded, and a bit hedonistic, and the other pure, innocent, and idealistic. This is probably normal.

But The Pearl, the Lily Maid is me. It took me a long time to think of it, but I think it's perfect.

EDIT: What's really fascinating is that both names mean the same thing: white and fair and white and smooth, respectively. (And both pearls and lilies reflect that.) Jennifer is Welsh, but Elaine is an Anglization of Helen, referring to the moon.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 09-01-2006 at 01:05 PM.
JennyHallu is offline   Reply With Quote