View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #194
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Yes they would
I disagree; the Grace is evident at all the important steps: Bilbo finding the ring, the winning of the game by Bilbo, the elves finding the hobbits in the forest, Gandalf reluctance to talk to Saruman, the coming of the ring to Frodo, the coming of all of the fellowship to Rivendell, etc ETC - and these all are recognised, in the books, as manifestation of, what I call, Grace.
Quote:
No, I'm saying it 'highest & intended function' has no relevance to me.
Then why do you have a problem with the fact that your understanding is not the highest possible?
Quote:
To imply that I would be 'under-using' it is to assume that which is to be proved - that somehow the object is 'more' of an altar than a chair
If the most of its applicability, for you, is a chair, fine by even the author. Not the best intended and possible use though..
Quote:
In what way, beyond the builder's wish/intent, is it specifically an altar?I
In its potence to give access to the Truth. To take you back before the Fall. That is, if you accept the likes of such concepts. If you don't, it will most likely forever remain a chair.
Quote:
I think your analogy is based in the idea that the 'true' meaning of LotR is 'Christian', & that if I do not pick up on that, if, in effect, I do not use the book as a devotional work to aid in my specifically Christian prayers & meditations, I am not using it to its fullest, & am missing something.
Not in your prayers; its cathartic effect should directly come from simply reading it. Enjoying this aspect should not require any other ingredient.
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote