View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #195
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
But why should we accept that LotR is a Christian work just because the author tells us it is (if indeed that is what he has told us) if it is not necessary for our appreciation of the story? And, if you were to tell me that it is necessary to my appreciation of the story, I would reply that, as far as I am concerned, it is not.~SpM
I think part of the confusion has been that I haven't been all that clear. Now that I have some more time, perhaps I can speak (or type?) with some more clarity.

Some have been mentioning an irritation of having others tell them the 'meaning' of LOTR and shoving it down their throats. Personally, I find that irritating as well. But is it not just as irritating to deny that religion, that christianity, was an important influence in Tolkien's life, and absolutely cannot be found in his books? For one to even imagine something as 'Christian' in LOTR is flawed, useless, and serves no purpose

One of my good friends is a minister, and we both share the same passion for LOTR. He is able to connect things with the bible that I never thought of, nor would I ever have considered. And we have had some interesting conversations over the years. One of which he compared the friendship between Sam and Frodo like that of Mary and Joseph's. I don't see it that way, and I don't agree with him, but I understand where he's coming from, and I understand how he sees that. For more information check out this old, old, old thread...

History and literature are big passions of mine. So, I see things that my friend would not, and vice versa. The question is who is right, who is wrong, which is the intent of the author?

The answer is neither, neither of us is more right than the other. And as far the intent of the author goes, personally I think both can be in line. Tolkien as well as being a professor and a historian, was also tied closely to his faith, so I certainly understand why two different people, can see things from Tolkien's books two different ways. Perhaps, if I give an example of a flawed interpretation, it may be a little clearer. I've heard often that the Ring is a representation of Nuclear power, and the Nuclear threat...Tolkien comes out and says in a TV interview on BBC Radio:
Quote:
'May I point out that I wrote these stories before the H bomb was even heard of.'
Whoever, believes that the Ring is a representation of nuclear power, quite frankly, in this case is wrong. It is completely conflicts with the author's purpose and designs. The person may keep going on to believe that the ring is Tolkien representing nuclear power, but bottom line is, this is something Tolkien comes flat out and denies.

The vast majority of the time, we don't have a case like this. But we do know what Tolkien was passionate about, what influenced him, and what he loved, and therefor we can draw our own conclusions.

So, to my friend, to christians, or anyone who chooses to see it that way, LOTR is a 'Christian book.' To me, it's not a Christian book, but it's a historical fantasy adventure. To others it may look like a Hindu book...etc. Which one of us is right? No one is more or less right than the other.

Eventhough to me I don't see it as a Christian book, I see no purpose to be stubborn and say, "whoever believes it is, is wrong, flawed, and it is useless to read it as a Christian book." Because that would deny one of the very many and passionate influences of the author.