View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #204
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, firstly, as regard's Mark's quotation from Mythopoea – I have to say that I am not arguing with the possibility of some kind of spiritual dimension to LotR, that it may provide an open minded reader with a glimpse of something 'more'.

As to her list of Biblical figures who are similar to LotR characters, are we talking a deliberate taking up by Tolkien of those specific characters into his secondary world, or simply an example of 'applicability' due to some, often vague, similarities? I don't think the former can be the case, as Tolkien specifically denied 'inventing' very much of the story. Hence, it seems we are dealing with a case of the 'leaf mould of the mind' – Biblical figures & imagery were part of the subconscious store he drew on, along with myths, legends, fairy stories etc.

The fact that one can find such correspondences with Biblical figures does not prove the work is 'Christian' any more than the fact that one can find correspondences with Pagan figures proves it is a Pagan work.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote