View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 04:50 PM   #125
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
He perpetrated massacre, theft and vandalism all in a few days
But you must always take things in context. Beren perpetrated theft and murder but he is swiftly excused, rightfully so, because of the who, why, what, and so on surrounding his deeds.

In the other threads I attempted to put Feanor's (and the Noldor's) deeds in perspective, rather than just stating "he did this and that, and he's bad".

My arguments in the other threads state that Feanor and the Noldor were created in such a way that their flight to ME was inevitable (and not good to stop, for Tolkien even stated in his letters that the Noldor's war on Melkor was the best conceivable way to expend his energy while doing the smallest amount of harm to the world). The flight of the Noldor was Eru's plan.

Feanor was specifically wired and put under certain circumstances so that he'd do what was necessary to get the Noldor to ME in time to fulfill their destiny.

Angry Hill Troll, at the end of the 2nd page of thread one, does an excellent job of proving the value and necessity of Feanor's actions and states that they were the remedy for Manwe's inaction (something Eru chided Manwe for in HoME).

Feanor gets trashed a lot more than he deserves considering both the circumstances and necessity of his actions and all the good (for all of ME) that he accomplished.

(if you don't have time to read the threads at least read Hill Troll's post, it's a great one)