View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #374
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Are there unicorns in Middle Earth?
Well, seeing as they aren't fell beasts, there's less need to mention them in LotR in order to maintain the gothic aura of the story. It doesn't mean they weren't there.

Although, I am sure that some of our enterprising RPGers could well come up with an explanation which would explain their absence from the story. Could it be that the steeds of the Black Riders were unicorns who were pressed to the dark side, thereby losing their horns?

In the Prologue to LotR, we are told that hobbits developed the art of disappearing swiftly and silently to such a degree that it seems a property of magic. We aren't told that they no longer exist, just that they choose to avoid us. However, the same Prologue also says that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue LotR
It is plain indeed that in spite of later estrangement Hobbits are relatives of ours: far nearer to us than Elves, or even than Dwarves.... but what our relationship is can no longer be discovered.
So, I suppose that this does imply the hobbits did in fact survive the flood and were, as lmp suggests, hiding on the Ark. It isn't clear that there may at some time have been miscegenation between men and hobbits.