Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq09
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe enter the exorcist

The intro to Edoras was excellent. The filmmakers once again did extremely well in creating a believable civilisation, in Rohan. It's a shame the villagers of Edoras were so depressing, but I guess they're going through a bit of a rough patch.

I absolutely hated the exorcism of Théoden. For some reason, it just really went against the grain, and I am sure that Tolkien would not have wished an exorcism to be shown in a movie based on his book. Granted, Gandalf's curing of Théoden in the book borders on too easy, but surely there could be a happy medium which didn't involve possession?

I also didn't like the way that the Fellowship manhandled the men of Rohan, despite the fact that they were Gríma's boys. It makes them out to be self-righteous thugs, coming in to the place and throwing their weight around. What possible use was having them do that? To show that they were tough even without their weapons? Or that if you think a "regime change" is needed, you should always rock up with fists of fury and effect it? At least Aragorn prevented Théoden from slaying Wormtongue.

The funeral scene was moving, indeed. Théoden's line, "a parent should never have to bury their child" was heart-wrenching. Some fine acting by Bernard Hill there.
Quote:
what's wrong with going to Helm's Deep?
I have the same sentiment as Elladan and Elrohir here. I don't see why Gandalf, Aragorn and co have to diss Théoden's suggestion of going to Helm's Deep. It sounds far wiser than riding out to meet Saruman in open battle, or whatever it was Gandalf was proposing.
Quote:
And now for the Éomer problem. He’s 300 leagues from Edoras, which is silly as you’d think that he’s find some place secure to hold up in yet be near enough to help his people if needed. And 300 leagues? Did he go to the beach or Rivendell?
It is indeed a problem. Makes absolutely no sense to me that Éomer would desert Rohan, and ride "north" to an undisclosed location only to be brought back in the nick of time by Gandalf. It's just silliness. Gandalf returning with the men of Westfold and the huorns works much better IMHO.