View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #25
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras Oronar
Well as said before, Mordor at that time is to be discribed as 'Desolate' I think if there was a big host able to withstand Gondor's might, I think it might be described somewhat different.

And even if by the hand of suprise as well the Nazgul were having the advantage, there would just be no way Gondor would allow the Nazgul to take Minas Ithil. It was about there biggest city, even if the Nazgul would retrieve a small host from Mordor, it wouldn most certainly not be able to defeat all the might of Gondor, which it AF COURSE would use against a assualt upon one of there 3 biggest city's?
I'm not saying the Mordorian forces were large. I am only saying that any force of orcs, no matter the size, would be able, under the competent commanding of the Witch-King, to hold a small piece of terrain and maintain a long siege. Due to the distance from Gondor, and having to cross Osgiliath and march into mountains that are less than pleasant, it becomes increasingly more difficult for Minas Tirith to direct a war against the besieging forces of the Nazgul, who are more at home in the terrain, as would be their troops.

And Gondor (as in the King) may very well would not want to lose or give up Ithil. But that is irrelevant if they could not do anything. And while Gondorian armies may have helped smash Angmar thirty years earlier, that was thirty years earlier. A lot can happen to a kingdom and its armies in that amount of time.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote