View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #51
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
I don't know what the Valar's space for their beach towels...

Myself I believe that men weren't allowed in the undying lands because the Valar did not consider men 'fair' enough' Consider that Ingwe and the Vanyar were Manwe's faves because they were fairest and the most skilled at poetry. Compare this to Beor's men and their 'rude harps'. Basically the Valar considered having men in the undying lands would make the place untidy.
No, I don't agree--I don't think the Valar were "racist": they are the Guardians of Men as well as Elves and they loved them.

I think they're not allowed because the Men would start REALLY pining for everlasting life in Aman, surrounded as they would be by perfection; or the Men themselves would feel imperfect and thus disrupt the balance with envy. It's in Men's nature to change; and it's in the Elves'/Valar/Aman's nature to not change(at least not in the same way, or so quickly.) Men would simply disrupt the society; and probably wreak havoc on it after a few generations. The Valar knew this because they were wise.

I suppose I have to simply accept that this is something like the Old Testament God.
What was that book Jung wrote about Job?

Last edited by Břicho; 01-16-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Břicho is offline   Reply With Quote