Thread: Sister
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Might Middle-earth be nothing more or less than the sister Tolkien spent a lifetime singing into existence?
If you ask if Tolkien intentionally created these 3 characters to kind of 'represent' a sister that he never had; I would have to give you a profound 'no.' I think Middle-earth was something different than to give a reflection/representation of his life. Tolkien created Middle-earth I think for an entirely different reason. In Letters there is the 'Thompson draft' to which he starts off:
Quote:
"Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging letter. Having set myself a task, the arrogance of which I fully recognized and trembled at: being precisely to restore to the English an epic tradition and present them with a mythology of their own: it is a wonderful thing to be told that I have succeeded, at least with those who have still the undarkened heart and mind."
I think one important thing to remember is the characters in Tolkien's story are their own person. They have their own actions, motivations, even their own 'sub-story,' and I don't think they should be broken down into people/thoughts of Tolkien's personal life.

Now, I do say intentionally, because honestly based upon what Tolkien talked about...Middle-earth did not represent the 'real world,' therefor I don't think he purposefully meant for Galadriel, Eowyn, and Arwen to be seen as such. However, subconsciously is a whole different thing and I don't think we have a clue what Tolkien was thinking, there is only what he wrote down and told . Many authors (either intentionally or subconsciously) write about their personal life (Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald are two that come to mind). To a certain extent I think every author is influenced by what is going on during their lifetime, and what Tolkien was thinking subconsciously I don't think anyone knows.

I do agree with Farael here...I think it's an interesting coincidence more than anything else. I say it's interesting because I never noticed that either until now ...but I think the connection is too weak and that makes it look coincidental.