View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #860
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
I finally got the Tolkien Guide and Companion in the mail! I'd ordered it months ago, and though English books take longer to arrive here, I suspect that the delay might have involved somebody's forgetfulness as well. A reminder elicited immediate delivery. Now, for the time to start reading...
Esty will soon have very muscly arms - those books weigh a ton.

Make sure to tell us all what you think of it. Everyone I've spoken to who has it says it's the Daddy of all Tolkien reference books. Plus it can be 'dipped' into or read in the usual way, it gives you more avenues to explore, you get to learn what those unpublished papers and diaries say, and its intelligently written - I know a contributor and can vouch for the fact that Hammond & Scull took huge pains to make these books accurate.

Oh, and what do you think of the difficult index? That's one drawback, that and the fact that there are no 'headers' on the pages so it's very hard to search the A-Z format.