Thread: Decorating Room
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 11:19 PM   #40
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks to this thread, I just cleaned & decorated my bookshelf.

It's a basic chip-board type setup, very ugly but practical.

I took all the books out (you never realise how many books you have until they're all over your floor) and painted the shelves with a dark-red-ish wash. It was just water colour paint diluted heaps - it took a few coats to get much colour, but hey, I was limited by what materials I had lying around. Then I put white ribbon with gold edges along the edges of the shelf, and stuck fake skeletal leaves (the type you get in scrapbooking stores) at various points, mostly to hide the edge of the ribbon. Then I put all my books back, in alphabetical order by subject (I'm that kind of pedant) with my Tolkien collection getting the top shelf.

It doesn't look specifically elvish, but it does have a faint whiff of elven air about it. It's nicer than chipboard, anyway.

Next project: my bed.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote