View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #63
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
I disagree. Tolkien referrs to him as persisten in wickedness, refusing chances of repentance and damnable. Therefore, he is responsible.

It is interesting to note that not even Sauron in Mordor, with everything at his disposal, the one who made the one ring with his own power, can overcome the evil in Gollum, cf Unfinished Tales, Hunt for the Ring; this is a clearly individual evil. If at the root of it, or if the major part of it, was the ring's power, Saruon could have taken control of him. It was not so.
Smeagol spent 500 years alone in a lightless cave with only the Ring to eat away his mind, constantly afraid of being caught & killed. 500 years alone in the dark with the Ring. If Tolkien thought that what he did was purely down to 'wickedness' then he had no understanding of psychology. My own interpretation is that the refereneces to his 'wickedness' by other characters reflect their own ignorance of his illness.

Oh & Sauce, I wasn't referring to your interpretation as 'simplistic'...

Last edited by davem; 03-23-2007 at 01:23 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote