View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter
But Thingol describes those lands as "empty and wild" after the disruption of this chapter.
Imo, I don't think we can argue that the elves had such a density of population that they could claim all Beleriand as Lebensraum, a necessary space for their living, nor did Beleriand cover all of Middle Earth. Even if Thingol's power would have been intact, there still would have been lands outside his 'rightful' political claim where the noldor could have settled; they may have taken all eastern lands, for all he cared.
Quote:
There is more than a hint in this passage that the Fëanorians would have been quite prepared to take lands by force
I would say that any hostility on behalf of the noldor would stem from the coolness of Thingol, his air of superiority, and perhaps a tint of disrespect.
Quote:
This was the point I was trying to make, rather than that the Noldor would naturally themselves dispossess all the Sindar.
I know, I certainly didn't believe you would argue for total war. I could see the inevitability of war if all the space was confined to Beleriand, if living resources were scarce and if an insufficient amount of them would have been left for the Noldor; but there were plenty of lands up for grabs even before the rising of the sun. Some of Feanor's sons may have started a war for the heck of it, but I doubt even they fell that low