View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #349
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

Quote:
Maedhros: You quite correctly point out that a full account of Hurin's meeting with Thingol does exist. But I think that William Cloud Hickli's point stands - to reconcile the 'Lost Tales' text with 'Wanderings' requires a bit more editorial intervention that CT seems willing to perform.
And what a shame that is. I would have really wanted to read a whole Fall of Gondolin, with the parts in Later Tuor (Unfinished Tales) and the one in the tale in the Book of Lost Tales II.
Good thing that there is a place where such story is recreated from such material. I think that most people would love to read it, even with "editorial intervention" than to not have it at all.

Quote:
As I think I've already said, I found the epilogue extremely effective and imo, including Hurin and Morwen after the death of the children was vital.
The book is not called Turin Turambar. It is called the Children of Hurin. They were cursed because Morgoth hated Hurin. Hurin on the high seat, forced to watch the utter effectiveness of the curse on his family - that is a fundamental basis of the story.
Any normally inquisitive reader would want to know, what happened to Hurin, did he die on that chair, or what? So the epilogue is vital. And I would have liked more, at least in the appendix if not in the novel itself. The passage just posted by Maedhros, for example.
That is true of course. Do you really really want to read about it? There is a way that you can of course.