View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn
But what about the high quality fan fiction/RPGs that fill the empty spaces in Tolkien's spirit? Non-canonical stories could be rejected, but would the good ones still be valid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli
He was violently opposed. When one reader wrote him with an outline of a proposed fanfic 'sequel' to Lord of the Rings, he called him a "young ***" and referred the matter to Allen & Unwin's lawyers. Tolkien very clearly felt that he was the only qualified 'historian' of Middle-earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
One of the other members of Tolkien's family actually did a fanfiction tale based on either Hobbit or LotR. Possibly a teenage son, but don't hold me to that identity. Of course, it wasn't called "fanfiction". Tolkien incidentally said he was delighted with it.
I think I would (rather unqualifiedly) say that the difference between the two is the same difference that lies between 'sub-creation' and 'creation'. The one tries explore the possibilities within the given limitations, while the other tries to impose new things upon the whole. Of course J.R.R. Tolkien was opposed to the latter, especially when it concerned his own work. What he would have thought of works with the intention of sub-creation, and of high quality, is debatable I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Note - he specifies 'paint, music, & drama' - not new tales.
But he also doesn't mention sculpture. Does that mean he was opposed to it? I would doubt that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the letter quoted by davem
The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama.
I think the important matter here is not the specification of paint, music and drama, but the question what this "scope" includes and what it excludes.

(sorry for excessive quoting)
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote