View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
The one thing I remember about the calenders and the artists (especially the Hildebrandts) was their insistance of showing Tolkiens characters as if they were in some Robin Hood or Three Musketeers movie , I hated them with their pointy hats, lincoln green and lots of buckling of swash, even the films that Errol Flynn appeared in drove me crazy, for Hollywood had some strange ideas about english history, no lets make that any history, their motto was 'Don't let the truth get in the way of rewriting history'. Jackson shows Aragorn as a man that spent a lot of his life in the wild, he looked the part, I never saw an inch of dirt on a Hollywood Robin Hood and as for some of the calenders, some of the people in them looked more like they were going to a ball than a battle.

I agree with the comments of Boo and The Sixth Wizard 100%

Hi Bethberry, when I first started the parody, I imagined the characters to be like Monty Pythons, now I have a whole list of people that if a film was made of The Lord of the Grins would be ideal for their part. I will PM you with some more info.
Oh I completely agree with you narf about the squeeky clean Hollywood types--well, excepting for Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones, who had the right balance of dust, sweat and gosh darn charm--but Richard Greene was English, that Robin Hood was English. I always thought that English heroes never broke a sweat.

Except for maybe Peter O'Toole as Henry. But then O'Toole is Irish. Come to think of it, I'll have to check that out when The Longest Day runs again this June.

But your Lord of the Grins as Pythons? Oh my. Strider as the Minister of Silly Walks. Cleese does have that sort of snooty patrician air about him when he's not Basil.