View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
One thing just for start to prevent some confusion, which, it seems, has risen among some people here. I thought it is not necessary to point it out, but maybe for preventing further confussion it's better. Of course I am aware of the fact Tolkien was the one who inserted the image of the express train there, but as Esty said, he presented LotR as a translation from the original. And this whole thread is, of course, built on this premise. He indeed used the word, with whatever intention, but it surely affects the world of Middle-Earth. Or said another way, you might say this topic assumes that LotR is indeed supposed to be a verified translation of the Red Book of Westmarch, written by honorable Mr.Baggins & co., and thus, if the image of a train is indeed there, it fits with Middle-Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
If one were to seek to explain the train references in a manner consistent with the 'Translator's Conceit', then one might speculate that this was a phrase inserted by the 'translator' of the Red Book of Westmarch in place of a phrase which would have no meaning to his audience, or alternatively that it was an example of 'translator's' licence.
Good point. It also came to my mind originally, however in that case we would necessarily come up to a question what expression then was supposed to be used in the original. Because this would imply that Tolkien used the expression in exchange for some other expression which was not understandable at all for modern reader - and this, given the way we are presented even things totally alien to us, seems rather strange. On other places in LotR, even things totally alien to us are described just as they are, so why change it here? Or in other words, as Esty said very nicely: Isn't it interesting that we have more difficulty accepting an express train in the context of Middle-earth than talking dragons?!

Anyway, back on the railway, so to say. If we agree with the railway really existing somewhere in Middle-Earth, it really looks like either the Dwarves could have been behind it, or there is, indeed, the idea of it being a "machine of the Enemy". The latter might also explain the problem of the train being such a significant image in the hobbits' mind, and it will probably really mean that the train had became a bogeyman (quite rightfully, in this case) for the hobbits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
I must concede that the orcs/goblins are a possibility.
Indeed! However, I doubt it would have been just orcs, because unless an old railway lead in Redhorn Gate when the hobbits passed through it from the Anduin Vales (or unless Golfimbul arrived with a train to face Bullroarer ), I can't imagine where would the hobbits come in contact with it (or with a rumor of it). If the train had indeed been a work of the Enemy, then I suggest looking for its roots in Morgoth's devices (I think not Sauron's, because we have no word of it being used in Mordor, and I believe that if Sauron could, he would surely use such a valuable device). After all, the image of a train could fit quite nicely with the environment of the pits of Angband. Maybe the knowledge of the making of this menace passed away in coming ages.

When we look at it, it is quite logical. Most of the real "inventions" were made by (or with the help of) more powerful beings (Maiar, ev. in this case it could be even Vala). As Boro said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Besides the appearance of gunpowder (in Gandalf's fireworks and Saruman's 'bombs') advancement in technology (in Middle-earth) is virtually stagnant.
It is quite interesting, however, that we haven't got a note about train among Saruman's devices. If anyone, I would expect Saruman to make such a thing. I even pondered the thought about the train being introduced to the Hobbits during his rulership of the Shire, but later rejected that idea, because from what davem quoted, already Bilbo knew about the train. It is possible, however, that Saruman had some train in his possession, but a) kept it hidden underground or more likely b) could've had plans for it, but didn't use it because he didn't have use for it yet. One could imagine, then, that if Saruman e.g. conquered Rohan, he would have built a nice long railway through the Horse-land to Edoras. (One can almost imagine an "alternate history" where a few years after the conquest of Rohan by Saruman the Rohirrim rebel bands will attack the trains a la Wild West, maybe even equipped by real pistols stolen from Saruman's supplies. )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote