View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #29
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
When I first read LotRs there weren't any images at all, the first I remember was the poster by Jim Cauty who also did the album cover for The King of Elflands Daughter featuring Christopher Lee as The King of Elfland (singing). .
There's summat else by Cauty I'm going to have to hunt down!

Aragorn, well I always saw him as tall, dark and intense. But not long after I read the books for the first time a certain Robin Of Sherwood appeared on ITV and I grew to associate Aragorn's 'look' with Michael Praed's look in that, but a little leaner and taller, and with longer hair.

I worked with a 70s Rings fan around a year before the films came out and we'd discuss what Aragorn ought to look like. We agreed he just had to have long har and be dark - she said that Aragorn's 'look' had been a common pub argument when she was at uni in the 70s.

Now I did like Viggo and my chief fault with him was his lack of eyebrows. On Aragorn they should be black and slightly beetling. And when he scrubs up Viggo does look a tad 'cheesy' like someone out of an early 80s 'mullet rock' band, but he's alright when he's grubbing round in his overcoat and stuff.

However, after I'd got an eyeful of the tasty Sean Bean as Boromir I was wishing he'd got the part instead. He's way more manly.