View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #29
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanorsdoom
This isn't a modern invention by any means, but it has, in my opinion, an origin in Ea that's pretty illogical. Presumably first invented by the Valar and given to the Eldar or thought up by the Elves in Valinor, it just seems too large of a step. Why not an evolution in armor and weapons like in the real world? Is there some divine symbolism to a weapon of war (as opposed to hunting weapons) in a world where no 'people' could actually die? And, most importantly, why would the Noldor develop them in the first place at a time when there were no enemies? As far as I can remember (and I've been ODing on HoMe for months), there's no 'aha!' moment when Melkor says to the Noldor, "Now you're gonna need these because the Valar aren't your friends."
Is this not addressed in the Silmarillion?

Quote:
High princes were Feanor and Fingolfin, the elder sons of Finwe, honoured by all in Aman; but now they grew proud and jealous each of his rights and his possession.

....And when Melkor saw that these lies were smouldering, and that pride and anger were awake among the Noldor, he spoke to them concerning weapons; and in that time the Noldor began the smithying of swords and axes and spears.....And Feanor made a secret forge, of which not even Melkor was aware; and there he tempered fell swords for himself and for his sons,.... Silmarillion, Of the Silmarils