View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #25
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry but I get the feeling Tolkien would have hated people writing new stories based in 'his' created world. He seemed keen to put a stop to almost every endeavour to adapt his work (was especially filled with hatred for Disney) and while I don't doubt he might have been amused by some of the better efforts - the art in particular - I get the distinct feeling he'd have been rolling his eyes at the greater excesses of fandom.

He was none too keen on the 'obsessed' fans, especially those who rang him up at night, and as a keen reader of Sci fi and fantasy fiction he'd probably have quite liked to read some good, original work. I know I get sick and fed up with 'Tolkien wannabes' *cough* Terry Brooks *cough* myself and would quite like to see people instead put their prodigious talents into creating some work of their own. RPGs excluded of course as that's about interaction but I'm not comfortable at all with the idea of people spending creative time on all that lengthy serious fan fic that Just Aint Tolkien - Aint Never Gonna Be. Humour and smut yes - as that's essentially a new creation, being as Tolkien was not known for being ribald, but serious stuff? Why not do some of your own work?

Plus he'd have been tormented to feel obliged to read all the stuff too, as he was with his letters - just like poor old Bilbo having to let all them Dwarves into his home because he was Just A Hobbit Who Couldn't Say No