View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #34
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My, my! Thunderstorms force me to shut down for a day to avoid a power-surge, and look what all has happened in my absence! I'm happy my questions have sparked such interest.

Since my example of Arwen/Aragorn seems to have evolved more toward the example of Eowyn/Aragorn (actually, a much more complicated example in terms of the original questions), what influence did Eowyn's faith (or doubt) have on her feelings towards Aragorn? We know that the Rohirrim had developed a somewhat different belief system than the structure we see in the Sil. They had a profound reverence for their ancestors, a belief neither unwarrented nor inconsistent with the myth of the Ainulindale, but certainly not specified. They seem to have held that personal honor, courage and glory in battle would lead them back to the Halls of their Fathers (how very Nordic of them, or Japanese.) What do we know of a woman's place in this belief system? How would a high-born shieldmaiden, forced into the (to her) ignoble role of nursemaid, beyond any chance of glory, tending a feeble old king, himself seemingly beyond any chance of glory as well, react to the chance of war represented by the arrival of Aragorn? Did his courteous, polite response fuel her feelings for him, or drive her into battle and doom?

I am reminded of the old Judy Garland song:

Dear Mr. Gable, I am writing this to you . . .
You made me love you. I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to do it . . .

To what extent did Eowyn's built-in reverence for her heroic ancestors (Thengel, Helm, Eorl, etc.) translate into her feelings for Aragorn? Did she see them in him? Was she "born again" to the chance of glory and honour, or did she just see a manly man that she wanted to be with? Was it some confusing combination of the two?