View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #21
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Silmaril

Hmm... it's true that we don't have actually any solid information in the books which would seem to be enough for influencing our personal, subjective views. All we have is "This one was the fairest..." etc. One would say a reader can say who was fairest according to the book, but it seems very strange to think that a reader could form his own personal opinon (it will be interesting to ask f.ex. Rune on what he bases his choice). If we had a picture, then of course, you can say about a picture of Arwen that you think it more beautiful than that of Galadriel (or vice versa ). It may be that people are influenced in their subconscious by some illustration they have seen (not speaking at all of those who saw the film first), but someone may not? And in that case, is it just that people have formed in their mind the images of Arwen and Galadriel based on the narration, and so they in fact choose between their own two creations? Isn't that interesting?

And now to my answer to the main topic question, which will be probably more seen in the contrast of what I said above.. My opinion is formed very clearly. I'm all for Galadriel In the movie as well, but especially and mainly in book. Which brings an interesting question, if the opinion on the movie characters - whatever the actresses may look like - is "pre-influenced" by the choice made on the book characters? (of course only for those who have read the book prior to seeing the film)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote