View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #57
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hehe, the (un)athletic boys are slowly coming good.

I suggest that we lay off Arctic and Sleepy as they have been so good as to organise this thing for us in the first place and, in any event, it's all just a bit of fun. You might as well disqualify the likes of phantom and me from the competition, as we know how some of the teams fared las year. For that matter, you might as well disqualify anyone who knows anything about football from participating in any fantasy leagues as it's unfair on those who don't. Let's just forget any question of 'inside knowledge' and get on with having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I do my commentaries and predictions as if the Middle Earth characters are honestly playing the game, rather than a bunch of fairly equal computer simulated characters.
Yes, I do much the same, although I try to equate the 'backstory' of the characters with footballing 'cliches', rather than simply basing it on their respective 'power levels'. That's probably why my analyses are so much more accurate in their predictions than yours. That and the fact that I also have a mind to last year's form.

My fantasy team, of course, was purely based on last year's form, what with me being such a hugely competitive fellow 'n all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Obviously, if I based my writings on what is really going on I wouldn't be so lopsided in favor of one team or the other, since none of your computer teams is honestly as overmatched as a team of kitchen utensils and drunken cats would be in real life.
But you tend to forget one of Tolkien's recurring themes - the weak prevailing against the odds where the strong fail. That's why Hobbit teams can sometimes prevail over those lofty Elf Lord types. Although I take your point about dishes, spoons and tipsy cats ...