View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #47
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Yet again we have the use of value loaded words intended to win the day with their decisive implications. Now its FAITHFUL. The fact is this and its fairly simple. JRRT said he did not feel a filmmaker could film LOTR. That was partly his motivation for selling the rights. Why not put some money in your pocket to pay the taxman when you also feel that nothing will come of the rights you are selling away? Very clever of the Professor. Sure, I will sell you the rights to something but I feel you cannot do it anyways.

But someone did. Once rather poorly in the case of Bakshi and three times rather successfully. I am not talking about your opinion - or my opinion - but in the opinion of the ticket buying public, the professional critics, and the industry insiders who lavished the films with awards of excellence.

Again --- a book is one thing - a film is another thing. They are not the same.
Which is all very well & good - except I stated clearly & unambiguously in my last post that the movies were successful. I didn't care for them & now find them merely irritating - but that is neither here nor there. All I was saying was that most of those who have seen the films have not read the books (given audience size against numbers of books sold) & therefore cannot comment on whether the movies were faithful adaptations or not.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote