View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Reputation Redux

While it is probably just as well that the "Reputations" thread with its 1,490 posts (and yes I know I was responsible for a good proportion of them) cannot be bumped up since it had become overly self-congratulatory and speculatory (I hope I contributed less on those scores), I think a baby was thrown out with the bath water.

If this is inappropriate, I am sure the powers that be will replace it with something that is but I cannot find any guidance on this matter in FAQ and I know of Downers (not me as it happens)who have received anonymous neg reps which have crossed the boundary of "disapproving of a post" and have been on a continuum varying from unkind to downright spiteful.

I am not against neg-rep per se - I use it from time to time and most of us deserve the odd slap on the wrist now and then even if it is to shake us out of complacency. While disapproval may be interpreted subjectively and some people my feel that it includes things that they disagree with as well as things that are less contentious: spam, advertising, off topic, etc, it surely does not cover personal attacks to which the recipient has no way to respond.

Please find hereafter various pertinent extracts from the early pages of the old thread:

"... the idea is to rate the post, not the member. Your rating of the post, postive or negative, will affect that members reputation up or down. As reputations change, the Reputation messsage changes.

Please don't abuse the Reputation system. Don't use it as a way to play games or disrespect each other. Instead, use it to give your true opinion of the posts you rate. In doing so, you will give people a better idea
"The BW

"It just seems pointless to me to leave anonymous ratings/comments for a person. I've always thought a person should step up and take responsibility for his opinions of the actions of others". Piosenniel

"Reputations aren't for "major" problems with others' posts. It's just for pointers, positive feedback, and general comments - simply "Hey, I like how you said..." or "Maybe you would consider trying to...". It's not a way to confront members you are experiencing problems with or anything - that should be handled through others means (as always, by notifying a moderator)". Legolas

"• Did I leave a comment with Reputation I gave to someone else? If you give someone Reputation, positive or negative, leave a comment. Don't be cowardly or lazy and leave it blank. Tell them what you liked (or disliked) about it. Don't leave them in the dark. It is sometimes very dark here in the Barrow.
• Am I being fair? Did my buddy deserve the good Reputation I just gave him, or am I just helping a friend out. Did I give someone a negative Reputation because their post was bad (in my opinion), or because I am mad at them? Make sure you give Reputations because of the post you are reading, and not because of the poster. Again, leave a comment. "
BW

"Be positive instead of negative unless someone is really misbehaving"
.BW

So far so clear. The only ambiguity is in these comments:

Also, for those of you who get negative reputations given, please don't write to me asking for an investigation. So far, everyone that has contacted me with a concern has each had a grand total of one (1) bad reputation with a point value of -1. This is nothing to panic about. The reputations system is a wonderful tool, and if you doubt me, just sort the Members List by Reputation and you will see how accurate it is.

Thanks
BW

(Psst: if you find that an urgent reason to complain to the Wight, the bad reputation might have been quite accurate)
Sharku,

While it is fair enough that it is unfair to burden mods because you are piqued at the loss of a few rep points, they might well inhibit those with just cause "contacting a moderator", because they don't want to waste their time, (certainly the Downers I referred to earlier probably come in to that category and so, I unsolicited do it for them!). I don't post this to be self righteous - I know I am not blameless in the (mis)use of the Rep system as the stats show but it cannot harm any of us to think before we hit that button and maybe really ruin someone's day. Of course it shouldn't matter what some anonymous person thinks of us, we should " Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." but there are real people behind the screen names with real feelings and if you don't have the courage of your convictions enough to put your name to your comments, if you don't in effect want to say it to their face - maybe you shouldn't say it at all?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-13-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote