View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #487
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex View Post

Looking back at this thread (to re read my points from before) - we've all gone round in circles on this thread many times (as Alatar aludes to above) - maybe it would be better to close this thread so people don't get so het up anymore (myself included)

mods, what do you think?
Do you honestly think the Witch King was greater than the Balrog from Moria, even with the added demonic force? Because of Gandalf's triumph over this hulking foe thought to be on a comparable level to Sauron, I could never see the Witch King having enough in him to trouble Gandalf to the death. The Balrog, afterall, was a creature which haunted everyone's darkest dreams, including Gandalf's & those who dwell in Loth Lorien.

Perhaps a fault of the LOTR was that Gandalf had defeated a great enemy so early in the book (& film), meaning that only Sauron was left to cause a serious threat to Gandalf in battle. Therefore Sauron should have been deployed at the end, rather than letting him sit on his throne watching & waiting like a timeless being.

Another point, Gandalf regularly called people fools, as did other characters - why cannot then posters call others fools if they choose to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex View Post

I put forward my other point again, which no one has answered I believe, that Gandalf has a body which can be injured or destroyed. He may have been a Maia, but his body can be destroyed. If it were possible for him to walk around with a impenetrable bubble to protect himself then fine (hang on - Extended Movie Gandalf does have one when Saruman shot at him!)
Isn't Gandalf able to protect his body with special spells rather like the Witch King & Sauron? Otherwise he would be as vulnerable as a Hobbit. In the human form, Gandalf is subject to the same pains, weariness, & fear as with all humans. But the key difference is he can defend himself with a power, of which only Sauron (or any other great maia) could definately contend with.

Last edited by Mansun; 09-16-2007 at 01:58 PM.