View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

You never met my grandmother, the woman who insisted on climbing up on the barn roof in her 70s to fix the felting. She fell off it, without dropping her hammer, and lay in a heap shouting for the brandy

The working class woman I think has more to lose and will fight to the death if necessary, not scared of 'making a scene' but if a 'scene' should arise then the middle class woman essentially thinks most things can be solved with a nice cup of tea and a sit down - this is drawn from real life evidence of one Ms Widdecombe's real off-screen personality. Maybe this is due to greater capacity for diplomacy (just watch Trisha to see what I mean)? But i shall give you Margo Leadbetter - now that was a scary woman.

However, I think the scariest of all is the nouveau middle class woman as she has more to lose in terms of hard-won status - witness in this case will be Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances. Now if we class dear Lobelia in that particular special class, which is where I personally think she belongs, then she may in fact be the more frightening.

Her scaring off the Ruffians with her umbrella reminds me of my friend's grandmother - when the officials came to take her beloved white painted iron railings in WWII to be melted down for scrap (which was incidentally never used for making guns as it was all useless, the exercise was more to do with morale) she threatened them with the bread knife and the railings remained - and do to this day.