View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #98
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
I assume this because JRRT presented no evidence that he was a trained runner and had been in training for the several months preceding that feat. If there is ample evidence of his long distance in LOTR, please present it so I can be corrected. If not, my assumption is right and proper.
Now I've not been able to dig up any true Dwarves from which to gather real hard evidence, but I have looked around and so am able to speculate:
  • How far can an untrained person walk? Assuming Gimli and the other two were healthy and had done some walking beforehand (i.e. from wherever to Rivendell, from Rivendell to Lorien), the linked article puts that number at 30 miles per 8 hour day.
  • Assuming 3 days, that's 90 miles
  • Yes, I know that this is walking and the Three Hunters were striding and running, but they also were stopping and sliding (down hillsides) and dodging tree branches and hopping logs amongst other verbs.
  • So for me, if a normal average healthy human could walk 30 miles in 8 hours, having done some walking previously, and seemingly could do this every day for three days, for exceptional persons the remaining 45 miles doesn't seem too much of a stretch.