View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #187
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Although I see where Raynor is coming from in regard to the "chink in his mind", and even though the Ring is an overwhelming artifact, davem's point remains valid that Gollum lusted for the Ring and committed murder to get it.

Unlike Frodo, who fought the Ring's influence all the way to the Crack of Doom, Gollum colluded with the Ring's influence. The only exception to this collusion was Frodo's mercy, which opened the door on that chink.

That said, I don't think there is quite the determinism going on that davem implies (or ast least I infer ). There was just as much a chink of hope as there was a chink of light that Gollum might repent; otherwise it would not be the kind of tragedy that it was.

But it's interesting to consider that Tolkien wept over this scene. I remember doing so too. One grieves only for those things that one loses, that one loves (or at least likes). So for all of Gollum's moral corruption and monstrous deeds, we still are helped to see something piteous and, well, human and sympathetic, about this fallen Hobbit.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote