View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #118
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren ..... I do enjoy discussing these issues with you but I do not really know what I did to both anger and disgust you. My comment about the abstinence pledge was NOT to say anything negative about them. I was comparing it to Faramir not wanting the Ring. He really has very little knowledge about the Ring, has never had it, has never used it and is rather naive about it. Thus, it was easier for him not to pursue it. I compared this to a seventh grader taking a pledge of sexual abstinence in that the child has not yet participated in this activity (hopefully), has limited information and does not know what he/she would be missing except from misinformation. Thats all.

You say Bombadil was a perfect being. You may be right. I don't know. I find that concept a difficult one for me to comprehend - the idea of a perfect being living with the rest of the flawed beings. Heaven, maybe.

My problem with Bombadil is that he does nothing to advance the story or resolve it despite the amazing incongruity that he seems alone in being completely beyond the power of the Ring. What does Tolkien do with this amazing creature and the dilemma of the Ring? Nothing? It seems pointless to even introduce him into this tale. Save him for something else or keep him to his own little book.

WCH - so after todays exchange, it seems by earlier statement is not so incorrect after all. You and davem took exception to it
Quote:
Tolkien bases his story on the idea of the Ring. What it is, how powerful it is, how it can control everyone who comes in contact with it, how it can tip the fate of the peoples of Middle-earth, and its history. Just when we have bought into the idea that this ring is the be all and end all of the everything, we then get introduced to a character who does not care about the ring, can wear it without being impacted by it in the least, cares nothing for it, and will not do anything to help with the central problem of the ring. Then the story moves on, leaving TB in his version of Disneyland, and nothing more happens with him. It is absolutely pointless.
If I had added the qualifying word EVENTUALLY after the statement "how it can control everyone who comes in contact with it..." it seems that would be correct.

Davem... do you then agree with the last postings of both Folwren and William Cloud Hickli that eventually, given the right conditions, everyone would succumb to the Ring?

And to all.... I have so enjoyed our exchanges today. Very civilized.