View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
The only other book written over the last 100 years that I think stands with LOTR is GRAPES OF WRATH. Maybe TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Lee ranks up there. I have tried at least twice to real ULYSSES by Joyce and failed miserably both times. I would put FINNEGANS WAKE in that same category.

Lots and lots of books on your list are more of "The Best of" from certain historical periods. Dickens wrote some great books including TALE OF TWO CITIES but lots of Dickens is just run of the mill nothing special stuff. My major in college was political science so I read many on your list including Plato, Marx, Mill and others. I cannot remember one of these men writing what I would call a great book that I want to come back to again and again for different reasons.

It is difficult - to me impossible - to judge fiction with non fiction. For example, I would rate William Schirers RISE AND FALL OF THE THIRD REICH as one of the great non fiction books of the 20th century. But I am at a loss to compare that to the creativity and artistry of LOTR of GRAPES OF WRATH. Sure they are all books, but its like comparing apples to cinder blocks. Is great reporting the same as great writing? I do not know.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote