View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 04:24 AM   #3
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Having said that, all the family seem to suffer excessively from pride, & it could be argued that it was a case of Morgoth using that, rather than 'cursing' Turin, or the rest of his family with 'bad luck'
I like what your saying here, but after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad what else did Morwen, Turin and Hurin have to keep them going but pride in their House and people? Turins pride and passion cause him and others ill, but pity is never far from his mind either. Perhaps the Pride factor was crucial to Morgoths curse, but it may have also been crucial to Hurin, Morwen, Turin and Neinor surviving as long as they all did under such dire circumstances?

Quote:
Considering Hurin's extraordinary loyalty, courage and steadfastness, this seems *very* hard and grim a conclusion.
I agree Lalaith, it seems like the grimest most shattering conclusion anyone could have. And this bitter despair was Hurins 'reward' for some of the most heroic acts ever written, such soulcrushing bleakness after so much hope before the Nirnaeth, moves me everytime. But like Davem said:

Quote:
I don't think Tolkien is making any judgement on Hurin. Maybe he's making a comment on how even the greatest of us can be corrupted, against our will.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote