View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #13
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

To the topic in general I think that Húrin was never condemned. When we look at the first Version of the story in The Lost Tales than Úrin and Maevin come to the halls of Mandos and learn that both their children's were not admitted to enter. Then they plead for them. Which means clearly that they themselves were admitted to enter.

I personally can well believe in the despair of Húrin and his suicide. But that makes for me the scene in Menegroth were Melian opened his eyes absurd. If Húrin could stand that eye opener (reconsidering his faults - specially the betrayal of Turgon by shouting his name in the face of the entrance of Gondolin) than he would have outlived any further blow. (What can be more terrible, than to understand that in a small moment of despair you have made totally senseless all the dome you brought upon you and your kin?) So for me Húrin in the end learned what he had done just before his death. By which way that happened we are not told. But we may guess. All that follows is of course not even hinted in the sources, but her it goes: For me Húrin left Thingol with bitter words. Obviously he wandered to the west. What could he have wanted by the see? He was deeply learned the lore of Gondolin, so may be he did know about the conversation of Ulmo and Turgon in Vinyamar. If so we may consider that he walk to Vinyamar to find the armour left there to get entrance to Gondolin by it. When he reached Vinyamar the armour was long gone since his nephew Tour had taken it. In that moment, I would think, he recognised his cry in Dimbar as delivering the position of Gondolin to Morgoth. And since Ulmo had already sent a warning to Gondolin, he believed that he had brought ruin upon the city and the King for whom he and his kin had so greatly suffered.
That for me would be the moment of ultimate despair. And Húrins death in the see would follow it immediately since the see is not fare.

Posted by Lalaith:
Quote:
I personally find it hard to forgive Turgon for not letting Hurin into Gondolin.
"Remember the Fen of Serech.."
Precisely.
Well, yes that is true for Turgon. But if we consider the right sequence of events than Húrin search entrance to Gondolin before he had found Morwen, which would have made her death even more sad. And in addition Húrin left a group of Men from Hithlum that had taken him as lord and helped him to survive in the wild with out even a word.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote