View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #84
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
-----------------------------------

WCH -

I hate it when otherwise good discussions come down to the old definition of terms. I remmeber my years on the debate team in college where they taught us that defining terms in your favor was one of the the easiest way to win a debate.

---------------------------------------
Mithalwen .... the absence of the index in the First Editions of LOTR is true as you discovered. It does not however have and impact on my argument regarding these rights.

I never said it did.... and how can one discuss the law of intellectual copyright without definition of terms ..?

Though I' m not a lawyer, half my family are and I have worked as a legal secretary/admin, and having seen my erstwhile employers eyes light up at the prospect of the billable hours they could clock up in dissecting knotty problems in a different field (they were licensing lawyers and the lunch at which we discussed exactly what constituted nude dancing was one of the more entertaining aspects of my time with them!), I would want to be very sure that the apendices were part of the rights deals before coughing up cash for a fim. I think there is a good chance they would not be included since they are appendices to the LOTR not an actual part of LOTR but I don't have the contract and I am not an IP lawyer.

Anyway I will leave it there while I still have the will to live ...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote