View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #101
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, Sauron, it seems your only remaining argument is based on 'fairness,' since you have none at law.

I should point out of course that Party A took nothing resembling 'extraordinary additional steps.' He published his father's manuscript. That's all. If UA were really interested in The Silmarillion film rights, they could have bought them from JRRT. They did not.

And do you really think 'Party B' had any intention, or ability, or prospect of revenue, in making a 'Silmarillion' movie BEFORE 'Party A' took those 'extraordinary steps' in 1977? Please. UA got, tossed in as a disregarded freebie, a then-valueless one-paragraph synopsis. It's only valuable now thanks to the 'extraordinary steps' of 'Party A.'

And your assertion that Party A's actions rendered Party B's investment 'worthless' is a bit rich, considering that Party B and his licensees have raked in something like a billion dollars from the deal. Party B wanted The Lord of the Rings. They got it. They made movies of it. They generated squillions of dollars.

I can't bring myself to feel sorry for poor, abused Party B.

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 12-20-2007 at 06:47 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote