View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #117
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Nerwen .. when you accuse me of something, please stick to that when reposting my previous thoughts so we can see if you were correct or not. That is only fair.
There is a disturbing trend here - not only here but on other boards also - where instead of directly meeting a persons point head on, people like to rephrase, paraphrase, change the meaning or wordsthe person used in an attempt to twist the original argument to bettermeet their own response.

You accused me of

Quote:
Actually, I believe you are claiming that, if you think the film rights holders can sue Tolkien Estate for damages caused by publishing The Silmarillion. Isn't that the cornerstone of your argument?
I replied

Please show me where I said the film rights holders can sue the Tolkien Estate for damages caused by publishing THE SIL. Please show me. I never said it. Some type of action may have come up in the discussion in passing over the last three pages but that was never my point.

Obviously you could not locate what I did not say and could back up your accusation. So today you come back with

Quote:
So Sauron... you did start off talking about the legal aspect
Legal aspect? legal aspect? What in the world is a legal aspect? Sounds like the broadest possible term you could come up with that takes in nearly everything that has anything to do with contracts, rights or the law. It says nothing about me urging anyone to sue anybody else as you claimed wasthe cornerstone of my argument.

And all this about copyright. It has nothing to do with my main point. I am not arguing that JRRT did not own The Silmarillion. I am not arguing that he cannot produce a book about it or the events in it. I am not arguing that anybody but the Tolkien Estate owns The Silmarillion. Can we please get that straight.

The facts are simple.
1- JRRT sold the film rights to both THE HOBBIT and LOTR to UA in 1969.
2- Included in LOTR are the Appendicies, including accounts of events in The FIrst , Second and Third Ages. Among these items are

- Feanor is shown to be the greatest of the Eldar making the Silmarils filling them with the radiance of the Two Trees
- Morgoth stealing the Silmarils
-Morgoth destroying the Two Trees by poisoning them
- Morgoth retreating to his great fortress of Thangorodrim with the Silmarils
- Feanor leading his people into exile
- War between the Eldar and Edain against Morgoth and his forces
- the defeat of the Eldar and Edain
- the union of Beren and Luthien and their lineage
-Beren and Luthien steal a Silmaril from the Iron Crown of Morgoth
-Luthien becomes mortal and gives birth to Dior
-the city of Gondolin with Turgon as its king
-the wedding of Earendil to Elwing
-the overthrow of Morgoth
-the ship of Earendil is set into the heavens

3- UA sells these film rights to Saul Zaentz in 1976.
4- JRRT dies never completing his SILMARALLION leaving behind various versions of stories which are later combined into a book length narrative by his son CT.
5 - THE SILMARALLION is published in 1977. Since that time the SIL has sold over a million copies and has remained in print for the last thirty years in languages all around the world.

Does anyone find those facts to be in error? Please say so because if we cannot even agree on the facts we certainly cannot find any common ground on what they mean or their implications or effects.

I will await responses before discussing what I think are the imlications of these facts.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote