View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #32
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Actually it's true Turin shows some improvement in Brethil, obviously chastened by the disaster he'd brought on Nargothrond, (I mean he's not a bad kid at heart - just hot tempered with poor impulse control, not to mention a bit self-obsessed). Unfortunately he ruins it all by reverting to type when confronted with the fact he's married his own sister and she's killed herself in despair.

However I must hold Nienor somewhat responsible for the deaths of Brandir and Turin as well. Granted it's fairly horrifying to discover you've accidently married your brother and are carrying his child but thowing oneself off a cliff has never struck me as a creative way of dealing with the crisis.

If Nienor had managed to keep her head, *she* could have been the one to break the news to Turin and maybe kept him from killing people, (which he tends to do when upset). Like her brother Nienor doesn't *think* but acts on the impulse and passion of the moment.

As for Glaurung putting a compulsion on Turin. I can't help feeling that if Mr. Bilbo Baggins could manage to keep his head and not put credence in a dragon's words so could Turin Turambar.
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote