View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #45
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tolkien

So, let us move on with the chapter-by-chapter course. Flight to the Ford: the end of the first book. This chapter continues with the scheme of the last chapter, it is a long, epic and quite thrilling chapter.

The start, and most of the chapter, works with the uncertainty of Frodo's fate (and even the end, which is a brilliant and very dramatic, one almost sees the scene moving in front of him - and fortunately, or at least myself, don't see it in the movie adaptation. The whole book, as the others will as well, ends with a cliffhanger). The Morgul-wound is presented at the beginning as something very sinister, of evil nature, and it is emphasised twice (by both Aragorn and Glorfindel) that "not even them" can cure what the would caused. Frodo is slowly becoming more and more disturbed by the wound. He moves slowly closer to the Wraith world, at night everything seems more solid to him, and in the end, without any effort he sees the Ringwraith as they really are. The dreams and hazy visions, especially the one when Frodo walks in his garden at Bag End, seem to me really close to this hazy perception a person has when he is ill and having fevers etc. I actually remembered that the first time I read this chapter, I was ill, and I felt similar to Frodo. It is interesting how a story can strongly imprint the memory of the situation in which you were when you read it (another very strong experience I remember was reading Treebeard when I was eating jelly bears. But about that in due time ).

One important thing in this chapter is the appearance of Glorfindel. Despite being a minor character, he makes the impression of someone really powerful and important. Among all shadowy things, Frodo sees him slightly glowing on the first sight, his touch warms Frodo, and in the end, as we all know, Frodo sees him clearly even in the Wraith world. However, the strongest impact, I believe, would Glorfindel's character have on someone who read Silmarillion. His description of a golden-haired Elf warrior would raise connotations even stronger. I was thinking this time that CT should have attempted to issue the tale of Tuor and Gondolin, because then, eventually, a person might read it first and then start to read more things from Tolkien, and while reading FotR and suddenly seeing (dead) Glorfindel, he would be surely surprised and delighted.

We learn a little more about Aragorn as well - using athelas, and more interestingly, that "his heart remains in Rivendell". Why? What is that supposed to mean, one may ask on first reading? I must say I noticed this part especially this time and I really like it.

Concerning the overall depiction of the journey, I think it's wonderful. One may learn lots of geographical information about the land, but the picture of the journey seems so vivid! I may also note here that I remember I liked much all the hints about Angmar when I read LotR for the first time. I did not particularly know what it is, but I liked it and it was beautifully scary shadow somewhere in the dark.

And last of all, the trolls episode, which provides but a slight relief, but is similar to the relief provided by the tales of Beren and Lúthien in the former chapter (although this one is much more "hobbitish", of course, and is not followed by immediate disaster, like in the former chapter). I would like to point out several little things: like that Frodo says that Sam will end up as a warrior or a wizard, while Sam ends up as a Great Elven Warrior, and Frodo is completely unaware that the more this will apply for the two remaining hobbits. Also, note in Sam's poem that the hero - Tom - although probably a hobbit, has boots. Had this been an old hobbit traditional song, it could signify its ancientry, dating back from the times when the hobbits were still wearing boots. But why would Sam - Sam! The hobbit who practically never left Hobbitton, thus, was not even used to hobbits wearing boots, like the Bucklanders - make his character wearing boots? Yes, one can say "to fit the rhyme", but the thing is that a hobbit would probably not even think about putting in the boots for a rhyme, simply because he does not think about boots normally. Or did Sam simply use an old story and built on it his own song? Maybe.
Another thing which caught my eye this time was what Frodo said about Bilbo giving away all the treasure he got from the Trolls - that he felt it is not rightfully his when it comes from loot. What a groundbreaking approach would that be for many treasure hunters (and I had to think of my RPGing group, that I should promote this idea to them - someone might try to accept that way of acting for his character).

So, what did you find about the chapter? How did you feel about it, now, or when you read it for the first time? Have you anything to comment on something? Does something "stand out" at you?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote