View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Ha ha. An important distinction.
You know... I wasn't going to bother defending myself, since Davem's preference (and indeed the general English preference) to distinguish the English from the general British is understandable enough to one who would distinguish Canadian from the more general North American.

However, I feel prompted enough to point out that the distinction I was making was that, although The Hobbit may be most likely to have its largest market in North America, it is not a work that belongs to that culture. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said "English"... but my point might have been made better to have gone the other way and said "European" or "Old World". The point was more that The Hobbit was a non-North American work than that it was specifically any other sort, though, of course, it does actually have to be some other sort in order to be at all and not be North American, and in this case is English, but as a broader term, British does encompass English, though it is not so specific a term.

~Formendacil the disgruntled