View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That is hard, indeed, to choose 10 only.

Here are mine (not in particular order)

1. The Shadow of the Past - One of the most interesting chapters giving lots of background information. Nicely written also - not a bit boring, though there are only two people sitting and talking.

2. Fog on the Barrow-Downs - Deligtfully scary!

3. A Knife in the Dark - I love how Tolkien builds the tension. Nightmarish, isn't it? The nazgul are revealed in all their glory...

4. The Council of Elrond - Most important chapter in the story, also allowing us to meet some new main characters. We finally get an idea of the scope of the Quest.

5. The Passage of the Marshes - Love the description of this dark haunted place

6. Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit - One of my favorites from the first reading. Thje contrast of fair Ithilien and the slag-heaps of Mordor...

7. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol - Breathtaking description of Minas Morgul. And the scene of near-detection by the Witch-King is just great.

8. The Choices of Master Samwise - for my favorite orc-talk between Gorbag and Shagrat. To understand Orcs one should only read this short conversation...

9. The Siege of Gondor - for its closing scene, the confrontation between the Witch-King and Gandalf at the breached Gate of Minas Tirith. And horns of Rohan...

10. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields - Fateful meeting of Eowyn and the Witch-King. The prophecy fulfilled - in such a weird way!

Funny - we only have Barrow-Downs in common!

Last edited by Gordis; 06-21-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote