View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #116
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
My point is that Sauruman is a traitor every time you read the book. His path has been chosen by Tolkien, not by himself, and can therefore not be held responsible for his actions. If an omnipotent God knows all that is to come, the choices of his characters, like you and me, are also set in stone and there can be no randomness. We can not be held accountable for our choices since God then must be the author of our story, not ourselves. He created us to do just what we do, and we have no free will in the matter.
My point (which I evidently did not make clear) is that there are two perspectives on history: a divine perspective and a human perspective. From the former, we see that all is foreordained, and from the latter, we see individuals making choices and taking responsibility for those choices; you have the author, and the characters. They are two sides to the same coin. Consider the characters on their own level, and you will see that WITHIN THEIR STORY, they have what you would call free will.